Halloween Horrors – Medical Minute

Everybody’s really excited about Halloween this year. Everyone loves fall festivities, getting dressed up, and getting candy. However, it’s important to keep the trick or treat bags far from your pets. While Halloween candy is a tasty treat for us, there are a few things that can be really dangerous to your pets. 

There is no need to completely ban these items from your home! However, for a fun and safe Halloween, it’s important for you and your children to be aware of what tasty treats are actually dangers to your furry friends.

What To Look For 

Do you have a bowl of Halloween candy filled with chocolate and sugar free candies? If so, this Medical Minute can save you an emergency vet visit. There are many household items that can be harmful to pets that are important to be aware of. Some of these items may be within your pets reach! 

Chocolate is actually very dangerous to both dogs and cats. A small amount of chocolate for a smaller dog or cat can lead to heart arrhythmias, seizures, neurologic disease, and even death, so keep the chocolate away from your pets. What a lot of people don’t realize is there’s something in a lot of candies that’s even more dangerous than chocolate…

Sugar Substitutes

Xylitol is a low calorie sweetener. It’s often used as a sugar free substitute in candies and gum! It is also poisonous to your pets. Xylitol can cause acute hypoglycemia, seizures, neurologic disease, and even be fatal.

Don’t be spooked this Halloween – be prepared to keep your bet safe!

If your furry friend gets any of the items above contact Noah’s Ark Animal Clinic as soon as possible. Even a small amount of chocolate or xylitol can be harmful to your pet. We treat your pet like our own.

Halloween is spooky enough! Keep these dangers away from your pets this month. 

Comments are closed.